Medicine Wheel in the Bighorn Mountains

After fly-fishing we were driving back home when we seen the sign for the Medicine Wheel-why not take a look? After 4 miles of an uphill hike with Shelby in the jogger and two dogs this is what we found. The "wheel" (85 ft across) is one of several that is found in the United States but this is the most popular one. Natives used it for prayer and "sleeping wheels" along with smaller wheels made of rock (2-3 ft across) that were used for cooking. The wheel is made up of rocks that are ina circle with spokes radiating out towards the outer edge of the circle. The rocks were used to hold down buffalo hides as they dried.

1 comment:

  1. loved catching up on your posts! I laughed so hard at your commentary with Shelby's shopping...nice :) And you seriously have snow there in August and snowballs, no less. I so hate AZ right now, even more as I see all the fun you're having in comfortable conditions :) I asked John as we stepped off the plane yesterday why we live in this God forsaken land. 111 degrees and not a day this week that looks a whole lot better. Uggghhhhhh.
    Oh and as for the prom picture posted...um you didn't think I could actually review John and my history without a picture of YOU, did you? Remember our first date? You were there too :) Oh those were the days.

    ReplyDelete